Fwd: Abel shanks & flanges

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:43:29 EDT

-------------------------------1086655409
In a message dated 6/7/2004 5:41:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:
In a message dated 6/7/2004 4:39:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ilvey@sbcglobal.net writes:
List,

Have any of had experience with the Abel shanks and flanges?   Pros & Cons...

David Ilvedson
   David
  I've used at least a dozen or more sets of shanks and they are a fine
product. They are geometrically correct for Steinway & also Masons with and 18 mm
knuckle placement. Their original Mason parts had the screw hole too deep & the
screw holes had to be drilled deeper in the rail, gnash, SO I complained, I
mean I gave incredibly valuable & professional feedback (Grin) & Wally had them
changed. All teh shanks in the sets are thinned the same amount top to bottom
& the only place that might be a problem is in shank flex in a FFF concert
situation or with heavy hammerweights. It's a plus if youre' trying to reduce
strike weights
  I've had only one set with any pinning friction problems & protek seems to
have remedied this.
  I see the add for the new Abel stwy whippens. I'm curious to know of anyone
that have tried these? The proto types of several yrs ago were not refined
enough so if Wally says there good now  then they probably are.
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357