Two-String Piano, was: pitchlock followup 1

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:59:00 -0400

Most pianos are loud enough for home use. IMHO, most pianos are MORE than
loud enough for home use. The volume of a two-string note in the tenor and
treble (where there were originally three) is only slightly less than when
there were three strings on that note - you'd think it would be only 2/3 the
volume, but it seems more like two strings will produce 80% or 90% of the
volume.

Seems to me then that there SHOULD be a market for home pianos that have a
most two strings per note. Advantages would be better tuning stability
(unisons) and lower cost and weight.

One could even invent some sort of "pitchlock" device that would even the
tension between two unison wires as part of the original piano - like a
hitch pin with a roller bearing.

Yeah, yeah, I know - "let us know how it worked out Terry" - well today I'm
gluing ribs on a  panel, maybe tomorrow - maybe not.

But waddaya think about such an idea?

Terry Farrell