Rib Function

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:51:06 -0400

I discovered a couple interesting tidbits today on the web site of a =
well-known NY piano manufacturer.

The ribs (which I understand to be flat) on the soundboard "assure =
strong and constant support of string down-bearing on the soundboard." =
Interesting for a rib that doesn't even support its own panel-induced =
curvature.

But I guess here is how soundboard crown is maintained: "Rib ends are =
hand-fitted into their mounting surfaces virtually locking in the =
important soundboard crown." I suppose a "mounting surface" is the =
notch? And this somehow "locks in" crown? Are they suggesting that the =
bottom of the notches are angled upward toward the bridge and the rib is =
glued to this perfectly fitted angled notch so that the rib forms a =
curvature? Is that what's going on here?

Terry Farrell