Kimball Grand Damper Problems

Rick Bazemore tunericks@yahoo.com
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:40:21 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Terry.  I'll let you know what I find.

Rick

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
I'm not an expert of dampers, but as you haven't gotten many responses, here goes!

"...the tuner said the condition could not be corrected..."

First off, such a statement is always untrue. Anything can be corrected. The only question is how and is the piano owner will to pay for it.

"I have a 1973 Kimball 5'8" grand..."

Here is the biggest problem that has an easy solution......... (running for cover)

"...the hammers were too light to dampen the strings..."

I imagine someone made a mistake in terminology here and the theory was that the damper heads are too light. If that is true, the damper underlevers can be appropriately leaded. Maybe the lead has even fallen out (unlikely, but hey, it's a Kimball)?

"I think the problem has been caused by my playing frequently with the soft pedal engaged..."

I agree with Avery - no way would this cause damper problems...... unless of course, the owner ALWAYS has her foot depressing the soft pedal, and this piano has a vertical-piano-type soft-pedal design (where the hammers are moved closer to the string as opposed to a normal grand where the action shifts) and the dampers are engaging early.

"The piano has had very little use"

Make sure underlever pinning does not have too much friction. Check for tight damper rail bushings. Check for hard damper felt.

Maybe check for a rat skeleton wedged under the damper lift rail. Or maybe one of those little wine cups from when the piano was used in a church.

Well, there's a few things to consider anyway.

Good luck. Let us know.

Terry Farrell