Two-String per-note Piano

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 06:54:10 +1000

At 7:59 AM -0400 8/6/04, Farrell wrote:

>Most pianos are loud enough for home use. IMHO, most pianos are MORE than
>loud enough for home use. . . Seems to me then that there SHOULD be
>a market for home pianos that have a
>most two strings per note. Advantages would be better tuning stability
>(unisons) and lower cost and weight.
>
>. . . But waddaya think about such an idea?

I think the idea is excellent Terry. A two unison small upright piano
with singles for around half a 32 note bass section would result in a
highly satisfactory upright piano for domestic use. A string scale
could be designed for a smooth impedance across the break without the
usual 'hockey-stick' scaling disaster, even though it would entail
bi-chord plain wires in the tenor crossing over to bi-chord covers in
the upper bass. Furthermore, it would permit the use of a narrower
strike scale, which would in turn facilitate less key-stick splay.
This would result in a keyboard which lasted longer with a higher
mechanical efficiency.

I've been chewing over this very idea for some years. Furthermore,
the cost savings of such an instrument should allow entry level
pianos of quality to compete more effectively with electronic
keyboard/pianos.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY