Two-String per-note Piano

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 01:38:09 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Patrick Draine" <draine@comcast.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: Two-String per-note Piano

> On Jun 8, 2004, at 4:54 PM, Overs Pianos wrote:
>

> > I've been chewing over this very idea for some years. Furthermore, the
> > cost savings of such an instrument should allow entry level pianos of
> > quality to compete more effectively with electronic keyboard/pianos.
>
> Sounds like the return of the infamous MiniPiano (courtesy of
> Hardman-Peck, 1935-1957). Can't say I'm that excited by the notion, but
> go ahead and work your magic, Ron & Terry!
>
> Patrick

    I have a MiniPiano, or bungalow piano (73-key) made by Hardman-Peck, but
which carries the name Hensel on the fallboard.  It has 15 singles in the
low bass, then 10 doubles, then all the plain wire unisons are 3-string all
the way to the top.  For what it is, it's a great little piano!
    A friend of mine has a Lester, same size, plus or minus a couple keys,
but with all single strings in the bass and only 2-string unisons in the
treble.  It's much thinner sounding and harder to tune.  Varies greatly with
change in seasons, as did the super-mini (micro?) 64-note Melodipro "road
pianos" (some with Helpinstill pickups, sold in the 70's and 80's to mostly
rock musicians who wanted a "real piano" they could easily take on tour).
    Not sure if the wide swing in pitch with changing seasons is due more to
the lower downward pressure on the soundboard because of fewer strings, or
to the small size of the soundboard.
    --David Nereson, RPT