Tuning styles with octaves

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:27:36 -0700

Hey all----

I have absolutely no experience with HT or WT, but I've been tuning good
grands in ET for 30 years, and have got to a place where, as has been said
before, the piano tells me where it wants to be vis a vis the stretch---
but ALWAYS within a very small parameter of difference, and every grand
piano ALWAYS wants to be stretched.  Unless you like your double, triple,
and quadruple octaves to be flat, and your arpeggios to sound pinched and
unfriendly. <g>.

Beautiful, musical tuning starts with the absolute, stable precision of the
temperament, which is then delivered to the rest of the piano via octave
tuning; finally, the instrument starts to sing when the unisons become truly
as one. It amazes me that as I grow in this craft, "setting a good
temperament" becomes more and more precise, shimming unisons and making
adjustments in incredibly small increments;   "beatless," instead of being a
tiny spot, sometimes can seem like the Grand Canyon; and unisons can be
stood absolutely stock still, from the moment of impact until the last dying
whisper. After 30 years, I feel like I'm just beginning to understand what a
really good tuning is.

One good thing among many the EDT has brought is a return to open-string
tuning---there is no more precise or fun way to tune a piano than with all
the strings open and full. It's vertiginous and scary at first when you quit
using the temperament strip---at least it was for me, 3 years ago---but
doing it has reinvigorated my tuning pleasure and, after thousands and
thousands of tunings, catapulted me into better and better work, which
guarantees a successful business.
Along with the Golden Rule.
And coffee.
And a buncha money.
An' a purty gurl thankin' ah'm a big stud.....oops--- OT! OT! OT! OT! OT!
OT!

Take care, all, and be happy.....
David Andersen