Pulley Keys

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:55:29 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 6:33 PM
Subject: Pulley Keys

> Anybody want to share favorite methods for fixing pulley keys?
 > David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    I usually first determine which way the hole is elongated and mark where
I'll repair the hole so that the keyfronts are flush.  Then I make a saw
kerf across the bottom of the key with a hacksaw or coping saw, get a flat
toothpick (which is hardwood), put a little glue on it or in the slot or
both, and insert the flat, wide end of the toothpick into the slot first so
that it wedges itself into the slot tightly.  Let the glue set up, then trim
the excess.  The toothpick should fill the ovaled-out part of the hole.  If
positioned correctly, a key pin will now just barely fit into the hole,
which might require a bit of easing with a rat tail file or the Yamaha "CF
tool" (meant for easing balance hole bushings from the inside of the
mortise).
This method along with others was in the Journal awhile back, as someone
else mentioned.
If it's just a tiny bit "pull-ey",  dab some diluted wood glue around the
hole, insert a key pin, and let dry.
    --David Nereson, RPT