Pocket PC w/TL & Customer DB

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:08:02 -0500

Mark:

I downloaded the trial version of the SpringDB for Pocket PC,=
 installed it on the PPC then tried to copy over my Access files=
 but the sync program said it couldn't copy the Access file. =
 Does the file have to be converted to a different format?  I=
 have the school's piano inventory on Access and I wanted to be=
 able to access it without taking my laptop with me.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: Mark Dierauf <mark@nhpianos.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Pocket PC w/TL & Customer DB

I have an ipaq 3835 that is about 2 years old. The newer models=
 are smaller and faster, with many incorporating wireless access,=
 I believe. Mine has pretty much just the standard Micro$oft=
 office suite that comes as part of the PPC 2002 operating=
 system, but I have added the following applications:

Tunelab Pro for Pocket PC - http://www.tunelab-world.com/  tuning=
 software
SprintDB - http://www.kaione.com/  database application
Audible Player - http://www.audible.com digital books

SprintDB reads and writes Microsoft Access database files, and=
 since my desktop DB is in Access it was a logical choice. I=
 tried several DB=92s for PPC and found this one to be by far the=
 most powerful. The new version has a desktop companion so you=
 don=92t need to do any design work on the diminutive PPC screen.=
 My DB tracks the usual customer info, including piano data and=
 service history.

Audible.com is a source for books on tape, or in this case=
 digital format. Since I=92m often on the road this is for me an=
 easy way to enjoy a good =93read=94. I carry some ear-buds in my=
 car, so if I=92m filing hammers or regulating in a customer=92s home=
 I can listen while I work. Makes those drudgery jobs go by=
 faster!

The only extra hardware I use is a 64 Meg SD memory card, and I=
 only use that because the Audible files are often about that=
 size. It usually allows me to keep an entire =93book=94 on the card,=
 rather than having to load titles in two or more sections. The=
 extra memory is not necessary for either TL or SprintDB. I=92ve=
 heard some people complain about the battery life, but I find=
 that I can get about 4 tunings out of it quite easily on a=
 charge which is about as much as I like to do in a day anyway. I=
 did buy a car charger which works quite well and have never had=
 the battery quit on me. It is also my understanding that some of=
 the newer PPC=92s have removable and/or high capacity batteries,=
 so this should be even less of an issue. I hope that when the=
 time comes for me to replace this one I=92ll be able to combine my=
 PPC and cell phone in one device! Beware that some of the Dell=
 PPC=92s are unsuitable for use with tuning software =96 see the=
 =93News=94 section of the Tunelab web site for details about=
 specific models to avoid.

- Mark