Bridge over troubled waters

Topperpiano@aol.com Topperpiano@aol.com
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:48:13 EDT

I would try my best to get the copper ones.  Copper is a self lubricating
metal that would aid in rendering. To me they just feel different.   I have
salvaged the old ones by pulling out with leather wrapped pliers.  I guess it would
depend on the type of plating and the quality.  You could try to get a
similar gauge copper stock and make them.  Plain rolled copper wire of that gauge
wouldn't be hardened enough but it would be if you could get a slightly larger
gauge and pull it through a draw plate to reduce to the proper thickness. Then
it would be just a matter of cutting them.  Just another job to be done to add
another bunch of what we call dead hours to the rebuild process.  Hey, if you
could combine it with doing the pulley key job and putting on new ivories you
could stretch this job out over several years. TP