Easing key bushings, dirty but effective

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:51:01 -0500

I just did the screwdriver trick on a PSO in a church basement yesterday. It
was an upper treble note where nobody plays. Now the church didn't know the
key was binding (at least nobody complained), they wouldn't have wanted to
pay me $30 to disassemble the thing to fix it right and I was able to get it
functioning with the screwdriver trick in a matter of seconds at a no
charge. I don't consider it to be "slocky" in such a setting. I am doing the
customer a big favor, keeping their little PSO functioning for Sunday school
at minimal cost.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Richard Moody
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 11:06 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: Easing key bushings, dirty but effective

What is the right tool? And when you consider what that tool does, what
is wrong with the screwdriver jammed between the keys unless you go so
far as to bend the key pin. OK it has to be done by someone who knows
what key bushings are all about.   Key bushing easing pliers are
monsters in the wrong hands as far as creating sideways play.  If
forcing the key against the pin back and forth  alleviates the situation
what is wrong with that.  The path of least stress so to speak.
===ric