Tools, tools, tools

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:02:20 -0500

All my professional life, I have considered the phrase, the right tool for
the right job.  I tuned pianos until I could afford the tools to do the next
bigger job and then I could do that job.  Some items I would do without the
right tool and it took forever to finish.  Today I have about a 100 foot
wall covered in workbenches and pegboards of tools.  It has literally taken
the last thirty plus years to acquire them.  Four years ago I had some
lowlifes break down my back door and steal about $4000. worth of tools.  The
drill box, the electric screwdriver box, the pipe voicing box.  Luckily they
did not get the really good stuff, but I am still finding things I need and
then I realize I haven't replaced them since the burglary.

I did without a upright piano tilter for twenty years.  Did not know how
badly I needed it or how much easier it would make so many jobs.

When it comes to new shoes for a keyboard, I only do one every couple of
years.  I have the Schaff Fiber donut system that works very well.  I have
done the maple wooden block glued into the dadoed out key thing and I did
not find it took more than a few hours.  I have not had any problem with the
fiber donut system rattling, but I have only done 8-10 of those.  The $550.
version of the key shoe replacer is, I am sure a quality system.  However, I
simply do not do enough of these to make it worth that much to me.  It would
literally take a decade to pay for itself in reshoeing projects.
D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com