Bridge over troubled waters

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:19:41 +0200

Hello,

The more shiny bridge pins I see look like stainless to me, I would be
surprized of plated pins, can't the plating tear down with the wire
friction ?

Are brass pin wearing faster than steel ones ? stainless is also a
somewhat soft metal in fact.

Have someone any idea on the difference in tone due to different
material used ?

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Overs Pianos
Envoye : mardi 15 juin 2004 00:18
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Bridge over troubled waters

Hi Dale,

>Although i don not do this job frequently occasionally I find it
>advantageous to pull bridge pins in an existing bridge,renotch &
>then put in new pins.

Likewise.

>  However as many of you may know from doing this that most recently
>the current copper supply of bridge pins are just slightly smaller
>than the most originals which obviously does not help with getting a
>tight fit.

This can be a problem. We've made our own pins to the required size
by getting silver steel centreless ground to the oversize diameter we
require, then cutting the pins from the ground lengths of silver
steel. But its a slow and costly process. Renner supplies bridge pins
in several graduated diameters, but these pins do not have a very
high standard of finish. We've been using them to date, but I'm
looking for a better quality pin.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY