Two-String Piano

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:15:55 -0400

Terry wrote:

>Seems to me then that there SHOULD be a market for home pianos that have a
>most two strings per note. Advantages would be better tuning stability
>(unisons) and lower cost and weight. ....
>But waddaya think about such an idea?

Well nothing is new under the sun. Bichord grand pianos were marketed
by French manufacturers (e.g. Boisselot, Pleyel etc.) mid-19th
century. Reasoning presumably what Terry suggests. From the ones I've
come across I believe the bichord was musically acceptable for
domestic use and with some practical and economic benefits...but the
idea was one of those countless innovations that had a fling and
peetered out.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett