Weak pin block

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:16:35 EDT

Greetings,

           Up in piano tuning school, we were advised to lay the piano on
it's back via a piano tilter and use CA glue, or the old formula of violin rosin
mixed with alcohol as a tightening agent for loose pins.

           Also, if the situation is bad enough, a piece of 150 grit
sandpaper could be cut in about a 3/8" wide strip, the length of which would be twice
the circumference of the pin, folded in half width wise and wrapped around the
pin and put back in the hole. The folding in half width wise, allows you
would wrap the grit towards the outside of the pin and there will be grit surface
towards the inside of the pin, so that the grip occurs between the pin and the
block's hole and the pin and the inside of the sandpaper.
           I never had to try it yet as I have only been tuning for a little
over a year. It worked at school and I would try it if I had the need.
Hope this helps.

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA