ca

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:32:33 -0700

Just thought I'd report my latest  experience with ca glue.

Victim- turn of the century Sterling.  Nice well built upright grand. (now
there is an oxymoron).
Client nickel and dimed me to death, so I looked for ways to skimp.  First
was bass strings and then all strings.

So even if I would normally replace the tuning pins, I decided that they
weren't really very loose and so I removed the strings, turned the pins out
about 4 turns, aligned the becket holes where I wanted them and then drove
them to a uniform 7/8 if I remember.  There were no plate bushings and the
holes in the plate were only slightly larger than the pins. Pins were not
leaning against the plate. That tells me that the block wasn't too bad.

With the piano on it's back I used about 3 1/2 oz of ca by flooding around
the pins.  Using the Instacoiler I strung the piano.  You seldom need a
string hook that way.  I didn't drive the pins in any further.  After
chipping, seating the strings etc. I was done.

Pin torque was just great.  Not a pin was loose, but a few bass pins were
much tighter than necessary.

I won't be worried the next time I try this.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.