Shanks parallel to strings

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:21:44 EDT

In a message dated 16/06/04 6:44:15 PM, fordpiano@earthlink.net writes:
Phil..my thoughts on the matter........fwiw! :-)
<< 1.  It's bad practice.>>
Like having all coils a certain distance from the plate and tuning pin height
matching at the same time.........the parallel shank idea is a
non-starter..... a nice goal to shoot for but it will never happen due to the dimensions of
the action/frame/scale etc.....it ain't possible anyway.....think about
it....... with all the differring string heights parrallel striking hammers would by
definition already be 'out of regulation'.

<<2.  It reduces power delivery.>>
Anything that keeps a hammer from hitting sqaurely on the string/hammer
interface "reduces the power" and parallel shanks are the least of the
considerations thereof.

<<3.  It won't give as strong a joint at the hammer to shank interface.>>
Krapck.

<<4.  The regulation will get screwed up.>>
See #1 above

 A well set up and regulated action will naturally have let off very close to
parallel...not that you should shoot for it but there it is. Usually the let
off is slightly above parallel. For the action which is not well set up.....
let off/parallel shanks can vary wildly.
But those are just my thoughts.........mileage varies wildly. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)