Shanks parallel to strings

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:47:40 -0400

Phil Ford wrote:

>1.  If it's bad practice, is there some explanation on offer?
>2.  Why would it reduce power delivery?  The hammer is still
>traveling in the same path as it was before - the angle of
>shank to hammer doesn't affect that.  If the hammer is
>still striking perpendicular to the string why would any
>reduction in power have occurred?

Wouldn't the distance from strike point to hammer center be
greater? (assuming you're going above horizontal, and hammer
is perpendicular to string when it strikes - therefore angle
between shank and hammer is > 90)  So hammer would
not take  quite the same path.  A slightly larger radius, I
would think.  Now whether it would matter...well it does
increase your moment of inertia <G>.  More practically,
if you're measuring SWs, it would be a pain with the
hammers not at 90 degrees to the shanks.

>3.  I don't see that the joint should be weaker.
>If anything, having the shank not perpendicular to
>the hammer would mean that the hole through the
>hammer has to be a little longer, which would
>seem to result in a stronger glue joint.

Not weaker, but if it's not 90 degrees, that would put a
twisting force on the joint at impact that's not there
otherwise.

>4.  I can see that this would be true if the action was
>designed to work with the shank parallel at contact,
>and that drastically changing this would cause various
>things like rest rails and letoff buttons to be in the
>wrong places for the new shank position.  But I'm
>talking about an action that was specifically designed
 >to have the shank non-parallel at contact.  In this
>case everything could be positioned to work properly
>so that regulation would not be compromised.

Funny you should mention that.  The piano I am
working on with the too-long bore distance has
drop screws all the way up (already posted about
that) but I just figured out that it's also causing the
hammers to be way too far off the rest cushions
(Steinway - so there's no rail to adjust).

-Mark