Petrof keyslip

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@comcast.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:22:00 -0700

Re: Petrof keyslipJust a thought: If you can flex the key slip at all, =
then try this:
1) Pull out two groups of 4 or 5 keys spaced equi-distant along the key =
frame NOT where there are front to back cross pieces.

2) Using a right angle drill, drill a hole parallel to the key bed thru =
the front key frame almost all the way thru at each of those locations. =
Leave a half inch or so of wood.

3) Using a proper length dry wall screw, screw thru the remaining wood =
until you touch the key slip. Remove screw and blunt the end. =
re-introduce the screw, then adjust the in/out of the key slip as you =
wish.=20

Sort of like the way Wurlitzer used to do it, only coming in from the =
other side of the front key frame. No having to go thru the hassle of =
pulling the whole key frame assembly and shimming. Should be doable in 5 =
minutes, assuming as I said, the key slip will flex with a little force. =
Bet it will.

Joseph Alkana  RPT
josephspiano@comcast.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cliff Lesher=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 6:24 PM
  Subject: Re: Petrof keyslip

  Avery,

  We can't remove the keyslip.  It's on there to stay in the Petrof 115 =
model studios.  I'll bet the piano in question is a 115, (newest models =
now called 116s, I believe).  Since key interference with the keyslip is =
the problem, and since moving the keyslip is not an option, it's a =
simple matter to nudge the keys rearward just a hair by shimming the =
keyframe away from the keyslip.  This is what my procedure describes.

  For the meticulous in the crowd, yes this might add a few grains of =
down weight because of the capstan movement.  If this is unacceptable to =
you, by all means, gather your planers, chisels, sanders and polyester =
repair kit and reduce the thickness of the keyslip.

  If, on the other hand, you want an effective, 20-minute repair, shim =
back the keyframe.

  Respectfully,

  Cliff Lesher, RPT
  Winfield, PA   =20