clicking on hammer return

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 05:09:47 -0500

Hi John,

You don't say if this is an upright or a grand. In addition to the other
excellent suggestions given, check this: if it is an upright, look close to
see if the click is occurring when the jack resets under the butt. If so,
there is a little piece of cushion felt missing there. If it is a grand,
make sure all of the nuts holding down the hammer stop rail are tight. If
any are loose, that will definitely cause a ticking noise with very little
impact.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Bec and John
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 8:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: clicking on hammer return

Hello,

I have a clicking sound when various hammers return that I can't
isolate. It happens with the action in or out of the piano. It appears
to come from around where the hammer hits the "cushion" (I forget what
that's called) on the hammer stop rail. The hammer doesn't appear to
hit hard enough to cause a click - I just can't find where it's coming
from.

Thanks!

- John