Shanks parallel to strings

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:25:47 +0200

My try :

The hammer has a rotating movement around the center pin of the shank.
When hitting the string, we could consider two points : the point of
first contact between hammer and string, and the point of largest
excursion of the hammer accompanying the string at it's largest
deflexion from rest position before rebounding, at loudest playing power
(this will be very different in the bass than in the trebble).  I
believe that for maximum power transfer between the hammer and the
string, the movement of the hammer should be not really perpendicular at
contact time to the plane of the resting string, but to a plane a bit
higher (higher of something approaching half the distance between the
two points defined earlier).  This, because of the cosinus coefficient
in the vectorial force.  Let us call this third very point the optimal
quasi tangential point of intersection between hammer arc and quasi
perpendiculat to largest portion of string plane when at approximately
1/2 of it's  largest deflection from rest position at loudest power
playing (OQTPIBHAQPLPSPA1/2LDRPLPP).
The fact is : if you bore your hammer shorter and have the shank run
beyond parallel to the plane including the OQTPIBHAQPLPSPA1/2LDRPLPP,
you loose some power because most of the vectorial kinetic energy runs
in a direction that is not perpendicular to that very plane, thus
affected by the cosinus coefficient.  Same again when the hammer is
rebounding : some energy is spent (in frictions and mass direction
change) affected by the same cosinus coefficient.
Now, talking about power, I am sure that other factors, like soundboard
desing, impedance matching, hammers desing and voicing, etc. are much
more important in the end.  And I think that what Bechstein had in mind
when desinging a rake in their hammers was mainly the thus alowed
thickness of the pinblock (which proved to be more durable than Pleyel
pinblocks).

Regards,

Stéphane Collin.