Shanks parallel to strings

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:12:46 -0500

>>After thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to be
perpendicular to the vector from the pivot point to the strike point.
Neglecting any gripping the string does on the hammer, there is one primary
direction that the string can push on the hammer and shank assembly:
perpendicular to the vector from the pivot point to the strike point. So it
seems to me the hammer needs to be oriented diametrically opposed to that
force vector.

I should add, the vector from the pivot to the strike point should also be
in the same plane as the strings, so the hammer would still be perpendicular
to the strings. This would minimize the radial components of velocity and
displacement, which somebody else was talking about earlier. Obviously,
pianos are not made this way.  Theory is a wonderful thing. It just has
little bearing on real life.
Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272