Petrof keyslip

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:35:25 -0500

Okay, okay. You win. ;-)
=20
I actually do carry the drill, shop vac, drywall screws, et al. But I =
know a lot of techs don=92t. I=92d still probably shim, but hey, =
that=92s me.=20
=20
I still have a hard time believing you could do that job in five =
minutes. You are definitely more optimistic than me.=20
=20
Dean
=20
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On =
Behalf Of Joseph Alkana
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 11:31 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Petrof keyslip
=20
Dean,
Doable in five minutes? You sound like an eternal optimist. ;-)
=20
 Yes, I am quite optimistic, something wrong about that? Better than =
being negative and all knowing in one's approach to life.
=20
How many techs would normally carry the right sized drywall screws or a =
right angle drill, or a shop vac to clean up the shavings, or a grinder =
to blunt the end of the screw. Now most of us have those tools, but I =
doubt very many carry them around all the time.
=20
 Many full time field technicians carry these tools all the time.  It =
may surprise you that some of us actually do things to  pianos besides =
just tune them in the field. A fine example is Isaac Sadirgursky RPT, =
and his entire approach to service in the field. You should attend one =
of his classes sometime.
=20
Drywall screws - I always carry them in extra length. They are very =
handy for all types of odd repairs that come up. All you have to do is =
chop them off to length with your wire cutters.
Grinder - Why? Just a couple of swipes with a file from the tool kit =
will take care of any pointy ends.
Shop vac - We're talking a minute amount of sawdust here, most of which =
will stick to the drill bit anyhow. It will join the dust bunnies under =
the keys just fine, unless the customer wants me to clean the piano =
after seeing what it looks like under the keys, which will ultimately =
result in a heck of a lot more possibilities for service dollars than =
your method.
Right angle drill - Actually I do carry one, which I expect most =
technicians do not, but I was actually thinking of my little Milwaukee =
driver/drill which does a good impersonation of a right angle drill. =
Always keep that handy for cabinet screws, hole drilling, etc., so as to =
save wear on wrist and time on the job. (Thanks to Doug Wood RPT) More =
professional that way, don't you think?
=20
On the other hand, most all of us carry a screwdriver and shims, which =
makes the 30 minute job a little more practical. I wonder if you=92d =
have to pull the whole key frame. I=92d probably stick a screwdriver =
down in there, bend the slip out, and jam a shim in; 3 minutes 45 =
seconds, tops.
=20
So, I've made the job more permanent, certainly adjustable in the =
future, took a very short time to accomplish and looks a whole lot more =
professional. No keyframe moved and wasted time in getting the action =
back to square one. Plus I've sold the customer a vacuum and cleaning =
job...I always carry my vacuum with two hoses in the car (thanks Isaac). =
Don't you clean pianos? While I was showing the customer the repair and =
the dirt, I also got a chance to show how bad the action actually worked =
and sold a future hammer filing and regulation job because everything =
was viewable. Plus a bottle of High Gloss piano polish and a piano light =
because I had the customer's attention. :-)
=20
Optimistic enough for ya?
=20
Joseph Alkana  RPT