Expanding YC action bracket symptoms??

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:13:02 EDT

Hi List,

I know this topic has been dicsussed a fair amount at various times in this
forum.  Yesterday, I went to tune a Weber WG50(about a 5' 7" grand I believe)
which was manufactured by Young Chang.  What I found was a piano so out of
regulation as to be virtually unplayable.  Hammers were blocking against the
strings, and it took more than a full turn of the let-off dowels to get any let-off
at all.

I didn't get very far into it, because I'd only alotted time for a normal
tuning appointment.  I did take off the top action to check for abnormal
tightness in the keyframe, but it seemed to go in and out just fine.  But the amount
the piano has gone out of regulation is of concern to me.

Other factors:  The piano was in Pennsylvania before it came to a much drier
climate in CA, and before it got to its current location, it stayed for some
time(I think the owner mentioned over a year) in storage.

What measurements can I take to determine if it is indeed swollen brackets?
After checking a few sample notes, I've come to the conclusion that the piano
can be regulated, but I want to be sure it isn't something more egregious
before I spend many hours on the piano.

Any input would be helpful!  Thanks in advance.

Dave Stahl