Shanks parallel to strings

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:47:59 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Dean May wrote:

>I fear you are making the same mistake I was making earlier. You are
>calculating the Center of Gravity, not the Center of Percussion. Your
>formula for CP appears to be correct, but you fail to calculate the value
>for "I" which is not the inertia, but the Moment of Inertia.....

>Now for Center of Gravity:
>CG=(4*2.5+11*5)/15
>CG=4.33 in  (I'm not sure why I got a different number than you did)

Because I was calculating Center of Percussion.  This number is the Center
of Gravity.

>Going back to your formula for Center of Percussion:
>
>CP=I / mr
>CP = 308 / (15*4.33)
>CP= 4.74 in

Which is exactly the number that I got.  See above.  Is this some sort of
trick question?

Whatever.  The result is still that the Center of Percussion is not at the hammer.

Phil Ford