Steinway mystery knuckle felt

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:36:34 +0200

Hello Don.

Indeed, the original knuckles had buckskin that extended out a little.
But the red felt was totally independent of that buckskin.  It is very
carefully glued with a thin strip of glue at the knuckle side, leaving
the rest of the felt unglued (just like in a key rest felt).  I just
can't figure out for what purpose.  Is this feature original for a
Steinway action of 1881 ?

Stéphane Collin