Shanks parallel to strings- off list

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:53:05 -0500

>  The thing I wonder is whether moving the CP to the hammer will cause
> more energy to be transferred to the string, as you say, or cause the
> hammer to rebound more vigorously, which would seem to result in less
> energy being transferred to the string.

Or perhaps cause less energy to be re-absorbed by the hammer with the
shorter contact time, resulting in more energy given to the string.

>>Bill Spurlock recommends in his hammer hanging pamphlet to thin the treble
>>shanks to remove mass, saying that will eliminate some of the "woody" sound
>>that the you get in the extreme treble. I wonder if the woody sound is a
>>result of the cp moving away from the hammer closer to the pivot. The
>>resulting higher reaction force could be vibrating the shank assembly
>>generating the noise. Thinning the shanks would move the cp back closer to
>>the hammer.
>
>An interesting observation.  Could be.

Or perhaps a shorter string contact time as a result of the lower mass,
killing less of the non-woody upper partial energy. As long as observations
are being entertained...

Ron N