clicking at key fram shift pin on Estonia grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:09:04 -0500

>My question is that it appears that the fit between the pin and the
>guide doesn't feel like it is any greater on this piano than any
>other, yet the pin "slamming" into the wall of the guide makes it
>click.
>
>During action shifting the lever does seem to torque the action
>front-to-back at the bass end, but it doesn't seem too excessive.
>
>Why might this piano make a click when others don't, but more
>important:  What's a good way to fix it?
>
>Thanks for your contributions!
>
>Mark Ultsch

I'd consider moving the return spring. I think the spring is (fore and aft)
between the shift pedal (power stroke) and the center of friction (return
stroke) of the action, so the action rocks forward and back (at the bass
end) on the return spring. In low tech engineering practice like this, it's
not possible to maintain a perfect sliding fit of the pin to the guide, so
I'd try to keep the pressure of the guide pin in the guide in the same
direction through the entire pedal cycle to eliminate the "lash", which
should take care of the click. In other words, I'd try to fix the cause,
rather than the symptom. If the return spring is either slightly forward,
or slightly behind both the shift lever and the center of friction of the
action, there shouldn't be any lash, and any click at the bass guide pin.

Of course, you'd have to make holes in the piano for the screw relocation...

Ron N