Dampp-Chaser recommendations

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi David,

Yes, 190 Watts seems like quite a bit of power for
this application; it seems that he has a somewhat
severe environment around the piano.

When the heater rods are hooked up to the humidistat,
they will cycle on and off.  Having 190 Watts (instead
of say 60) will make the air heat up more quickly.  As
long as the humidistat manages to shut off, the
"average" temperature will not differ by a huge
amount when you compare the 190W and the 60W system.

The problem with excessive power is that the
soundboard could be shocked from cold to warm in a
relatively short amount of time, and that the peak
temperature before things stabilize can be much higher
with the 190W system. My preference would be to change
the temperature more gradually, and that would be
better accomplished with less power.

Basically, I would say that one wants the least amount
of power that will shut off the humidistat when the
humidity is at the top of its expected range.  This
will prevent very sudden changes in temperature
and excessive transient temperature peaks.

Vladan

Andrew-

My original question regarding excess heat was in
response to Terry
Farrell"s comment:

>I own a Boston GP-178, which is located in my home. I
have about five rods
>on it totaling about 190 Watts.

I wondered if, at some point, the elevated temperature
itself (even with
sufficient humidity) can have some negative effect on
the soundboard.  It
seems there has to be SOME limit, yes? no?

David Skolnik