Scale designs

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:43:04 -0400

Hi,

The question posted by Ron O. from Overs Pianos made me a bit more
curious about scale design.

I recall reading from the list archives people talking about various
bad scale designs. I remember one person in particular who had a big
problem with the Steinway L scale design. This is curious to me. I've
only serious paid attention to it on one particular L (it's an older
one), but I think it sounds great. The lowest note (b) on the treble
bridge has a nice sound, and although the highest on the bass bridge
(bflat) isn't amazing, it's a decent transition.

I would be very interested to hear what people say. I know nothing
about scale design and I'm getting more intrigued as time goes on.

Thanks.

- John