Steinbuhler 7/8 keyboard

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 07:19:31 -0700

Thanks David for responding.  I did actually have a converstion with them
this morning.  It's interesting that you had the "keyboard only" done as
they seem to discourage that practice because of modifications that must be
made to the feet of the stack that make it awkward to move back and forth
between keyboards.  Did you have any difficulty in this area?   Their
keysets, which were formerly made of a laminate, are now made of solid
maple.  Did you find that the amount of flex in the key was right for the
overall feel of the action?   What about weight considerations, how did the
action come out in this repect?  Does it regulate at normal dip and blow
specs? (10 mm/45 mm) or thereabouts?   Did you opt to put Renner hammers on
(their default unless specified) or did you use some other manufacturers
hammers--were there any problems this way?

Thanks.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

SMU.  One of our professors is doing a lot of research on the problems of
pianists with small hands.  We purchased a 7/8 keyboard for one of her "B"s
in 2000.  It was the keyboard only and used the existing stack.  That way
the keyboards could be interchanged by simply attaching the stack to the
other keyboard.

> Soon after that she bought a complete action for her "D" at home.  This
action was made with adjustments to every aspect of it so it could be fit
to any Steinway "D".  She has taken it with her to other venues for
recitals and lecture/recitals on the 7/8 keyboard.  It can be fit to any
"D" in about 4 hours.  Mr. Steinbuhler has also loaned us the use of 2
studio pianos with 7/8 keyboards.  This summer we have ordered a complete
action for a "D" in our large recital hall.  I should mention that on the
complete actions, it is all original -- i.e. the whole stack frame, key
board, keys etc. are of his manufacture.  The wippens and shanks are Renner.

> All of the above have been extremely well done.  On the first "B" he even
made some geometry corrections on the keyboard because the factory keyboard
had a rather unfortunate key ratio.

> I would find it difficult to exaggerate the quality of the work he does.
If you have questions about specific things, please feel free to ask.