My first Wurlitzer spinet...

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:01:05 +0300

Hello!

I've seen my first Wurlitzer spinet, quite an event in these parts of the
world (Europe/Romania). An American family went to the trouble of shipping
it such a long distance.
It looked kind of cute being so small, with a cherry veneer and smooth satin
finish and matching bench.
But when I opened it and looked at the action, plate etc, the workmanship
was pretty  miserable. The wood was very rough and so was the plate.
Of course, my only term of comparison are the pianos one usually encounters
here - old German, Austrian or French etc., of which, even the poorest
examples  show a better workmanship and nicer finish of the action parts,
plate etc.

Another strange thing were the hammers, which had ugly dark brown stains on
them, near the cores. Like somebody tried to impregnate them with the stuff.
Never seen this before. What could it be?
To my surprise, the sound wasn't as bad as the workmanship. The bass didn't
sound too good (low bass was quite bad), but otherwise it was pretty decent.

Were they all like this?

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com