Plate suspension

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:31:01 -0400

Greetings list members,
         I've been dissatisfied with the rope system I've been using to
hoist plates and have been thinking of changing to something else for this
purpose. I was wondering what the collective experience and intelligence
out there could share. In the past I have used ropes judiciously placed at
three points on the plate and tensioned as evenly as I could before the
hoist ( engine cherry picker) was engaged. While I'm not terribly fond of
the engine cherry picker since it lifts in a slight arc it will have to do
until I get the air hoist motor rebuilt and some strong frame to hang it
from. That however is not my present concern. My issue lies with the ropes.
It seems that they dig in just a bit and can cause some minor chipping.
I've thought of purchasing the Buldoc plate puller from Pianotek but was
even thinking of something a little more simple, like web straps that the
movers use but with "D" rings sewn into each end. The straps could be only
a couple of feet long and since they are 2" wide they would provide plenty
of support without digging in. Has anyone tried this before? Are there any
other ideas out there for replacement of the ropes?
Thanks for sharing.
Greg

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Forté