Baldwin 248 breaking strings

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@Indy.rr.com
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:42:38 -0500

Hey folks (at least the ones that are still home)

I have a newer Baldwin 248 that is breaking strings.  The piano is I =
think 4 years old.  The first thing I had to do was replace the low =
treble wound strings.  These are the first 6 strings on the long bridge. =
 They had the windings resting about a half inch above the "V" bar.  I =
can't believe this thing mad it out of the factory.  Baldwin to their =
credit replaced them, but the customer paid for the labor.  None of =
these 6 replacement strings has broke.

Anyway, now this piano has a habit of breaking strings.  They are =
scattered around the piano, meaning different wire sizes have broke.  =
They all break at the hitch pin.  And they all have broke with no =
outside influence, meaning not during tuning or playing.  In fact they =
were remodeling and had the piano covered up for months with no one =
playing.  There is no rust anywhere.  I have examined the wire at the =
breaks, and nothing jumped out at me.  I know this piano is rarely =
played and she is not a beater.=20

The customer is concerned, and frankly  I don't have an explanation for =
her.

Any thoughts?

Mike Bratcher