Steinway mystery knuckle felt

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:01:33 +0200

Hello Keith.

Some suggested that the felt there would damp the possible noise of the
top of the jack against the shank on forte playing, due to possible
action geometry problem.  But even at low checking and at forte blow, I
see no chance that the jack hits the shank there.  Some suggested that
it would help the knuckle (roller) to maintain its shape.  Tom Driscoll
thought about some kind of verdigris sponge.  Finally, this seems the
least unprobable to me.  Maybe it was impregnated with some anti
verdigris product.  Still I don't know if this was originally there, or
added by some later tech.

Regards,

Stéphane Collin