1906 Stwy wippens

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:55:18 -0700

If you are going to be doing this work, get the Renner kit of samples so you can test things out.  I use Renner on vitually every Steinway (and most others when possible).  Often I change the angle of the capstan in combination with making sure that I have the key ratio that I want.  The old 15 degree capstan is too acute and often rides on the front edge even with an angled heal wippen.  That can cause uneven wear on the rest cushion.  The ideal angle of the capstan is such that it is 90 degrees when the key is half way through the stroke.  If you use Renner wippens you might have to change the let off button to a longer one.   Once you get the samples (shanks with different knuckle to center dimensions as well as wippens), put them on in different combinations to see what works in terms of weight and regulation based on the hammer weights you intend to use.  Terry's advice might be good if you feel totally uncomfortable figuring this stuff out on our own.   There is a lot of information out there relating to Stanwood systems and such, you can check Journal archives for several articles, but you don't need to be fully up to speed on his systems to get a good result.  The pianotech archives also have a lot of information on approaches as this has been the subject of several lengthy discussions.  You might spend some time looking into it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: jason kanter
To: Pianotech
Sent: 4/30/2004 5:33:26 PM
Subject: 1906 Stwy wippens

Client has a beautiful 1906 Steinway B. It will need new hammers and shanks (misshapen knuckles). The wippens have moth damage, and they are the old jack style that had no jack positioning screw. The capstans are set at an angle. Will new wippens fit this old action? Or should I refurb the old wippens?

Jason