1906 Stwy wippens

Sat, 01 May 2004 09:38:14 +0200

You could either use this as an opportunity to learn a good deal about
some basic action re-design, or a good deal about how to restore old
action parts to their origional (working) condition.  Shanks are no
problem... but just make sure you are dealing with the same size
knuckle, and same placement for said..... or simply replace the knuckles
yourself and leave the shanks.. learn a bit about rebushing flanges
while you are at it.  Whippens are the same thing... you can replace
virtually every peice of felt and the rep spring if you want to....
there is generally nothing wrong with the wood peices themselves...
perhaps a little bending might be needed but thats generally about it.
If these are in good shape asside from the whippen cushion... then
perhaps installation of new whippens is all that you need to do.  I
wouldnt worry too much about the jack positioning screw... or the
capstan. Install new felt to the correct thickness for the jack, and
polish up the existing capstans.

OR....

you can replace things with newer parts that are not meant for this
action and learn about how to redesign things so as to arrive at a
predetermined result.  New parts and redesign can get expensive tho...
and you dont have the option of fudging so much on your price to the
customer.... you simply have to pay for the parts yourself.

Either way you are going to need instruction and help from someone
nearby who knows these things.

Its a great learning opportunity !

Cheers
RicB