Removing Celluloid Keytops?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 02 May 2004 12:21:01 -0500

>I've never found a good way to remove celluloid keytops. I have a set, in
>the shop, now, that has "tapered keys", (i.e. the thickness of the front of
>the keystick is narrower than the back of the key. So, I can't "machine" the
>material off with the Safety Planer.

Sure you could. You just need to make a quick and dirty tapered thickness
platform with a front stop that leaves the top of the keytop parallel with
the top of the drill press table as you slide the whole mess under the
planer with the key front held against the stop. Sure stinks though! I
prefer prying them off with a knife before planing to make the breathing
easier. Surprise grain direction changes will likely necessitate a minor
key repair or two, but I think the stink tradeoff is worth it.

Ron N