PTBiz vs pianoDB

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 3 May 2004 09:47:52 -0500

Jim,

I've used flat file databases since Superbase on a Commodore 64. Right now I
use Microsoft Works and I massage the data in an Excel spreadsheet. I love
it because I can make it do what I want. With a pre-packaged program you are
locked into whatever the developer thinks you need to do. Of course, I lose
some functionality, but it does what I need it to do and it is cheap. Most
of the functionality I lose (multiple service records for each customer) is
maintained on the 3X5 cards I keep on file for each customer.

For each customer I have a Last Serviced field, an interval between tunings
field (3 month, 6 month, etc) and a Due Date field. When I update the record
with each service call, I change the Due Date field depending on the
interval. Every month I get a printout of who is due (and overdue) sorted by
zip code. I also generate postcards for those who are due and some of those
who are overdue. I have a crude algorithm that will send overdue customers a
reminder card twice a year and not every month. The post cards are also done
with mail merge and are just blank 4x6 cards you can get from Staples or
OfficeMax.

I also send mail merge emails to those who are due if I have the email
address. I always ask for email addresses and most everyone is happy to
supply it if they have one. I explain it is easier to contact them that way
and much less intrusive than a phone call. They understand. I also give a $4
discount to those who reply to the email and schedule a tuning appointment.

With my monthly printout I can make phone calls to fill in the schedule-
especially when traveling out of town. If people don't schedule, I ask when
they'd like to have it done. I then update their record with a new Due Date.
If they say, "I'll call you," I just add 12 or 24 months to the Due Date,
depending on how emphatic they are.

Lots of tuners don't like to call. I understand. But it does add business
and many people appreciate the reminder.

If you are interested, I'll send you my Word document templates.

Blessings,

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272