damper groan mystery

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 17:00:05 +0000

Hi all,

Just pulled up the 9' Stieff (way old)from under the stage here at the
school.  It only gets used a few times a year...  Anyway, when releasing the
damper pedal, there is a "groan" (kindof a wood-on wood sound)  When I use
the sost. to hold all the dampers up, the groan goes away if I move the tray
by hand, or with the pedal.  I can't get the noise to go away by holding
sections of the dampers up, nor can I get the noise to come back by moving
any dampers directly.  I'd rather not pull the back action just yet...

Any hints?

Ron Koval
Chicagoland