Traveling with tools

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 4 May 2004 09:18:37 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Sarah Fox
  Sent: May 04, 2004 7:12 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Traveling with tools

  Hi Del,

  A digital caliper?!  Geez!

  Did you ever figure out whether that was a "listed" item?  By that, I mean
that the taps were actually listed in the drill bit category, which is
verbotten.  Are measurement devices placed on a verbotten list too?  Perhaps
the problem was that you had an item of unrecognizable electronics that they
thought might be a bo*mb or a remote control of some sort?  Would a
dial-type caliper have passed through more easily?

As it turned out it was not a listed item. It wasn't the electronics but the
small, and admittedly sharp, extensions used for inside measurements. The
problem was resolved at the highest level. I.e., I could either throw them
away -- at something over $200 I was not about ready to do this -- or insist
on seeing where they were specifically excluded. I ended up going to some
side room reserved for terrorists and troublemakers where I was allowed to
wait for nearly an hour before I was finally allowed to see the
manager/supervisor of the security system. She took one look at the tool and
said it was not on the list and I would be allowed to carry them on. She
apologized for the over-zealousness of the inspector out on the line but
explained that they really did need to protect us from ourselves. (Well,
that's not quite the way she put it. She was, in the very best of
bureaucratic tradition, most diplomatic.)

It still had cost me an hour, of course. Had I been less obstinate -- or had
less time -- I don't know what would have happened.

  I sometimes need to travel with odd tools and/or measurement devices and
would like to know how to avoid these problems in the future.  Does anyone
know where we can find an exhaustive list of prohibited items?

  BTW, back in the late 1980's, I once had to travel overseas with a large
carry-on bag full of electronic equipment, much of it home-built.
Anticipating trouble from security, I remember carrying letters from
department heads, explaining that I needed the equipment for my research.
Do screeners pay attention to letters and/or professional documentation,
these days?
I doubt it. Anybody could write a letter. Besides, you're assuming the
screener could both read and comprehend the letter you carried.

  The future of aviation should be interesting to watch.  First, there was
Southwest Airlines, with stewartesses in hotpants and gogo boots.  Now
there's Air Hooters (or whatever they're called).  Soon there will be
NudeAir -- 'cuz we may as well be travelin' nude anyway.  ;-)
Surely the future of aviation is on the ground. At least for most domestic
travel. That we continue to pour untold billions into propping up and
patching an inefficient and pathetically managed airline industry while
begrudging every penny spent on the development of an integrated high-speed
rail systems is sheer lunacy.

Del