steinway over hardened hammer

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 5 May 2004 15:49:00 -0700

Richard,

Quoting richard.ucci@att.net:

> Horace, thanks for the advice, would steaming the hammer be in order?

In my experience, steam is basically useless against plastic/polymer
hardeners.  The hardener needs to get back into solution (as much as it
can).  Too little acetone and the hardener will not move; too much and it
runs out and/or pools up in places where the acetone does not sufficiently
penetrate.

Also, with the commercial solutions, it is very hard to tell just how much
hardener is in any given amount of solution.  You'll kind of have to
experiment, giving time for acetone to liquify the hardener again (to the
extent that it can under the circumstances).

> would have to use a steam kettle( don't yet have an iron,getting one next
> week )in the clients home.

...not sure I would waste the time.  Others may have other experience.
One thinge for sure is YMMV.

Best.

Horace