steinway over hardened hammer

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Thu, 06 May 2004 09:35:01 -0600

>Seems to me that if laquer first is to be used.. then it should be only
>because all standard needling up techniques are exhausted and one truely
>has no other choice.
>
>Cheers
>RicB
Hi Ric,
             So many tech's are looking for the quick fix magic bullet, and
one find it please let me know.
For brightness and power, first do all of the following.

1.  A meticulous key bed, fitting. Then do it again to make sure it's right.
2.  First class regulation, and hammer filing/fitting.
3.  If you want it bigger and brighter, another haircut should be
considered.  <G> Hammers that is.
4.  Needle and open up the cup line low on the shoulder.
5.  Lift all strings to form a nice firm contact point at agraffe and capo.
6.  Fit all strings to bridge, and make sure false beats are minimal at
bridge pins.
7.  Burnish back scales if needed to ensure a reasonable unison to the rear
of the notch.
8.  Pitch raise and fine tune.
9.  Re check all your work.
10. Now is the time to evaluate if you need juice,  most often not.

Oh I nearly forgot:   Centre pinning of hammer flanges can rob you of a lot
of power and brilliance. Add that to the check list.
Nice hammer shape is very critical on NY Steinway's.

Now back to sleep.
Regards Roger