Out of tune(probably an argument, here)

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Fri, 7 May 2004 22:33:28 +0100

John Formsma wrote;

>>>  "There is also a point at which a unison can have some "life." This is
just before a perfectly sterile unison. The effect is that the sound seems
to have a little movement, an "alive" sound, a little bloom, whatever you
want to call it. It's not out of tune at all - just has life to it. I've
also noticed there is slightly more volume at this point.

Wonder if this is what the pianist is hearing?"  >>>

Yes, I must agree. It is the slight mis-tuning that alters the envelope of
the sound, almost like a swell. It is like a slight rolling effect, but the
beat must not repeat itself.
The same goes for octaves as well. Perfect octave tuning is pretty lifeless!
A slight rolling effect in the very low bass octaves works wonders on the
tone, depending on the piano, making the sound not quite so "rigid".

If anyone has had to tune a piano for Ragtime music, the 6+,6- method, you
might have experienced that extraordinary secondary wave that looms up from
somewhere when you play block chords. It is actually quite intoxicating. I
have no idea of the physics that is going on here that produces this
phenomenon.

AF