out of tune honky piano

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 07 May 2004 17:34:24 -0500

Some years ago, when I didn't think I was as good a tuner as now, I
had occasion to tune for an English lady in our town. Her piano sounded
very much like the ones we hear in the old English movies,( in taverns).
Well, in my opinion ,this piano was very badly out of tune, so I proceeded
to tune, and thought I had done quite a good job, especially the unisons.
Invited her to play and expected some kind of compliment. What I got was a ,
" you've taken all the tone out of the piano." !!!  It took some fancy talking to
get her to understand that what I had done was what she had called me to do.
Guess she was so used to hearing all those beats, that being close to tune,
sounded anemic, or lifeless to her. Her son , who played the violin, came in and
thought it sounded OK, so I suggested they play together, and low and behold,
she now thought it sounded quite nice. I guess there was enough out of tuneness
from the violin to satisfy her need for honky type sound, but I don't think I ever
tuned for her again. I often wondered if she was happy with the piano, or what.
I think the piano hadn't been tuned for maybe 10 years, before me, cause I raised
pitch, before tuning. I'm sure the piano sounded better with time.( as it went out ).

Carl