Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 7 May 2004 22:37:34 EDT

Again... no one said anything about NY Steinway being on a wrong path...
nor did anyone out of hand condemn lacquering or anything of the sort.
I DID raise the question whether reaching for the bottle of juice had
become a little too easy for many technicians....irregardless of where
they live.  Lacquer DOES ruin a hammer from the perspective of any
future needling-up. But of course it does not <<ruin>> a hammer from
some other perspective.
  >>Yeah but Ric if lacquer ruins a hammer then it does sound like
condemnation. A lacquered hammer done properly so it so the tone opens up with playing
time is a different way of getting the tone up.
 Juice in the right place can increase power; in the wrong place can
> actually reduce it. Same with needles.

I dont think Juice in the right place can increase power... only more
tension can do that... at least as I understand the word power.  Juice
can increase volume... loudness if you will.
>> Care to help me understand this? Really it SOunds like semantics to me.
Have you ever tried this technique successfully ?
 I've done ti both ways. Power is power: defined it means volumne or sound
pressure with a changing balance of partials & different levels.
Juice raises the stiffness of a hammer (somewhat selectively,
> depending upon where it is applied), but does not need to reduce its
> resilience, if it is used to stiffen fibers rather than glue them
> together.

I dont really see how adding any significant amount of any type of
hardner can avoid reducing a hammer resilience. The nature of how felt
is made to begin with rather dictates this. If you coat a fiber with
hardner, you dont just make it stiffer in one direction... you make it
stiffer in all directions... longitudinally as well.  Not to mention how
the felting itself is affected.
>>> This is the conceptual point I seem to have trouble communicating. If  a
softer hammer has to much resilience I need to decrease it so I add a
stiffening solution.  What I need is limited resilience. So do you.
   You also have limited resilience With the harder pressed hammers because
they are made with more heat & pressure actually reduces resilience as well
only one hammer produce darker sounds initially & the other brighter & sometimes
choked sounds. The harder version usually have less initial springiness than
the former.
   These extremes of heat & pressure also work against the way felt is made.
The springy wool is now made unspringy or less resilience.
   I see stiffness as stiffness. If I have the same stiffness or springiness
with a moderately lacquered hammers as I do with a moderately hard pressed
hammer. I will have a similar tone but not exact.
 I want to save that one for the next post. It's Friday after all  Regards.
  DalePs
 I want to talk tension next

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.