Weber with 4 string unisons

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 23:29:27 EDT

Old Weber fans,

Today I happened upon an old Weber 9 foot concert grand that was not in the
greatest shape, though in its time, it must have been REALLY magnificent.  The
strings were pretty rusted, though at pitch, and tunable(despite having been
installed more sloppily than I've ever seen). I didn't get to tune the whole
thing, just looked it over a bit.

The interesting feature is the four string unisons above the treble/tenor
strut.  I wish the piano was in good shape so I could really evaluate what
musical effect this would create.  Has anyone on this list come across one of these
in decent condition?  Tuning them must be a bit of a challenge.  The strings
of each note are so close together, that they seem quite difficult to get a
mute between.

Just another of life's interesting pianos.

Dave Stahl