LACQUER FIGHT!

Sun, 09 May 2004 22:36:30 +0200

Ray Negron wrote:

> Ric,
>
> As Dale stated, our hammers now are much different from what they were
> 25 years ago. Renner hammers are apparently different from what they
> were one year ago, since they have a new press. Steinway(NY) has
> improved their hammers, as has Abel. All of us have tried to improve
> our product, since standing still is really falling behind.

Yes... I must say I am impressed with the critical review coming
across.  And I have to say that the hammers I purchased 25 years ago
were very finely made... as in it seemed the production succeeded
perfectly in creating the intended hammer.  That kind of thing is easily
noticed and is an essential bit in any concept of quality,  in my book
anyways.

> As for "cold pressed", one manufacturer has stated in a class that
> using less than 160 Fahrenheit could be considered a cold pressed
> hammer, since, at that temperature, the properties of the felt are not
> changed. I do not know what temperature, if any, Renner uses with
> their new press.

Well... unless one of us over here can get some numbers from Renner on
that subject I am afraid the absolute specifics will remain hidden from
us.  But suffice to say we are not talking about the kinds of heat and
pressure extremes... nor anywhere near those... that were so <<popular>>
with some hammer makers some years back.

Seems like manufacturers are narrowing in on that near perfect hammer...
the one that needs hardly any needling from the get go... and no lacquer
to build up the tone either.

If nothing else thats a move in the best of directions and one I think
we can all be happy about.

Cheers
RicB