Lacquer fight! Lacquer fight!

Sun, 9 May 2004 19:31:11 -0700

I use NY Steinway hammers on a regular basis and, lately, I usually do not
add lacquer to the tenor and bass sections at all.  I often find that from
F#5 or G5 to the top something--4:1 or 5:1-- is required to balance the
piano.  I like to add lacquer from the sides, a few drops on each side of
the hammer right under the strike point, though at the very top it usually
goes over the crown.  It's a pain in the back to prop the action back and
forth, but I only like to use lacquer where it's needed and lacquer in the
shoulders seems unnecessary, maybe even counterproductive, in my opinion.
The hammer of the last year or two is much firmer than the one being
produced 3-4 years ago, and more consistent generally.  The hammers do get
a good filing before I bore them.  I take off a good 1/16" of felt,
sometimes more, until I get to a layer that has a nice consistency--hard to
describe what that is exactly, but it is more dense than the fluffy layer
right on top.  The time frame for development depends, of course, on how
and how much the piano is played.   If someone is used to a Yamaha, then it
may not be enough.  On the other hand, it may also be a welcome relief.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net