Out of tune(probably an argument, here)

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 19:35:42 -0500

Jim,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
> Behalf Of JIMRPT@aol.com
> Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 6:37 PM
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Out of tune(probably an argument, here)

<< ..... I had a customer who swore I had ruined her piano by tuning
it!!!! Well I went back and checked it...everything seemed OK save a
little loosness...so I retouched all the unisons and she screamed louder
that it sounded awful and dead.........remembering that my Uncle Smitty
had told me that some people get used to hearing their piano out
> of tune and didn't like an "in tune sound"...I went back over all the
tenor/treble and detuned one string of each unison...she loved it! and I
tuned her piano that way for aprox fifteen years until she passed

I've got a good piano teacher with a Steinway B. She complains
occasionally about some notes sounding "dead." They are the unisons
perfectly in tune.

But...when I tune the piano (all unisons in perfect tune), she comments
about how I've "put the resonance back and it sounds really good."

John Formsma